Monday, December 12, 2011

Don't forget to turn on your PC before removing the CPU heatsink !


I just bought a new CPU heatsink, the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ to replace my stock one in my AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition processor.
After carefully reading the instructions on how to install the new cooler, I unpacked it and had everything ready to roll.
Now it was time to remove my stock cooler. I unscrewed the base that goes attached to the motherboard and started removing it from the CPU. It was hard. Damn... I thought, maybe it's like that... and continued until I got it. But, for my surprise, the CPU came TOGETHER in the heatsink. My heart was beating fast. I checked the pins... everything seemed ok...

Found some posts to heat the heatsink using a heatgun. I used a hair dryer to heat the copper base (not the CPU itself) and carefully started twisting the CPU right to left until it started moving... and voilĂ ... the CPU unglued.
I plugged it in and mounted the new cooler. I was so luck that nothing was damaged.


So, a word of caution. ALWAYS turn on your PC to heat up the CPU before taking it apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment